Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Session 3: Chapter 2 We Don't Know What Normal Is

Questions for Discussion:

In your own faith:  

Are you comfortable talking with others about your relationship with God?  

Yes, I am; but the question is, are they comfortable listening to you talk about your relationship with God?    Honestly,  when I talk to anyone, I converse with everyone as if they were all  Roman Catholic and it's a normal thing, you know, very matter of fact; despite the fact that they really are all not.  I guess that may seem strange but what else am I to do?  My faith is life to me. I think about God when I wake up, when I retire to bed;  he's a very real presence to me.  I think about him;  A constant  thought.  It's not that hard.  I also pray to the Virgin Mary when I discipline my kids.  As for me, you know that feeling you get when you sense someone's glare on you or on your back; I get that feeling whenever I do something that I believe is displeasing to God.  Then I feel like a child; confronted.  And I can hear myself, mentally talking to our Lord, "But....but....but...Father?" 

Would you say that you're a "normal" Catholic using the criteria outline above?

Yes, I believe it's normal to be excited Christian activists. I like to read about today's Christian activists and yesterdays.  Even though I believe it's normal, I'm not sure if I'm an activist.  Does homeschooling your kids and teaching the Catholic faith to your kids count?  Is that a form of  christian activism in it's own way?  I believe that my oldest son is an 'intentional disciple.'  His faith in God, in all things, is so strong.  I'm in awe of him and feel very blessed.  My son discusses God to his friends as normally as you were discussing the weather.  He believes in the power of forgiveness and that God is the answer to all of man's insecurities.  I believe it's normal for Catholics to be knowledgeable of their faith, the Scriptures, the doctrinal and moral teachings of the Church, and its history.  But there are a lot of Catholics who don't know simply because they weren't taught by their parents (who probably weren't taught by their parents either.)  I won't profess that I know it all. Gosh, does any Catholic?  But I have learned and am still learning.  It's also normal for lay Catholics to have fellowship of other committed lay Catholics available to them, to encourage, nurture, and discern as they attempt to follow Jesus.  How fortunate, if you can find them in your parish. I have not, and have ceased to look elsewhere in other Catholic churches in my hometown.  It's not there and I have lived here all of my life.  But I haven't allowed that to bother me.  That's just the way it is.  And I also believe it's normal for the local parish to function consciously as a house for formation for lay Catholics.  Not only is is normal but a  huge blessing.  How fortunate if your parish functions this way instead of  the formation of so-called clicks, which depend on your monetary and/or social status to the community and/or contributions to the church, in order to participate in these formations as a lay Catholic........sigh........ 

Are you a "typical" Catholic, fighting that feeling that interest in the faith is only for a few pious eccentrics? 

 If that's being a "typical" Catholic,  then I guess I'm not.  It never crossed my mind that interest in the faith might be only for a few pious eccentrics.   Do "typical" Catholics think that, really?  Good grief!!!  


In your parish:

Do you personally have, within your parish, a group of Catholics you meet with regularly, to discuss the faith, study the faith, and encourage each othet to greater virtue?

No I don't.  I discuss the faith, study the faith and encourage and am encouraged by my daughters, who are of school age.  We study and learn together.  I also have a cousin in California who is very knowlegeable to the faith.  I have learned much more about Catholic history through her and researched, on my own, because of my cousin.  Then, I share with my daughters, whom they, in turn, share what they have learned through reading and study. And surprisingly, through blogging.  There's a multitude of Catholic bloggers out there who have also encouraged me to greater virtue.  An invisible circle of hearts from as far as Australia, the United Kingdom,  to the United States; Catholic bloggers who come together via the internet throughout the day, up in the morning drinking their coffee, diapering a baby, washing clothes, homeschooling, gardening etc. to remind each other of our committment to the Magisterium of the Church and our love of God and humanity. And I shant forget my best friends, the saints, who hover into our domestic church through prayer.  Their intercessions are so essential.  

At this time, does your parish have in place a working system for actively mentoring those who want to grow in their relationship with God?

I don't know.

I love my parish.  My husband and I were married there.  Our children were all baptized there.  I attend Mass as often as I can.  Sometimes, it's necessary to obtain encouragement and virtue elsewhere other than your parish.

No comments: