Friday, March 20, 2015

In My Fantasy

I love this song and the words to it.  It came out in a movie called, 'The Mission' aired in 1986.

On Earth As It Is In Heaven

It's about a Jesuit missionary (Father Gabriel) who goes to South America with the purpose of converting the natives to Christianity. The Treaty of Madrid of 1750 transfers the land from Spain to Portugal; the Portuguese wish to use/sell natives for slave labor.  Father Gabriel and a reformed Christian 'Mendoza' decide to defend the mission but conflict arises when neither can agree on how to do it. The character of Father Gabriel is based on St. Roque Gonzalez de Santa Cruz. There is an interesting article celebrating his feast day and that of two other martyred jesuit saints that died with him.

There is a book that is also an interesting read; 'The Lost Cities of Paraguay' by Father C.J. McNaspy, S.J.  Amazon has this book for purchase.



Saints Juan del Castillo, Roque Gonzalez and Alfonso Rodriguez, Jesuit martyrs at Paraguay

 I've watched parts of the movie but not all, as I have never liked movies with even a little violence.  Growing up, my two brothers and I had a distaste for violent movies or shows.  In today's times, graphic and gore seem to appeal to the younger generations.  I think it has de-sensitized our young people a great deal.  Anyhow, this song touches my heart and the lovely girl that sings it, Jackie Evancho, is also very touching too.

In My Fantasy  (Nella Fantasia)

In my fantasy
I see a just world
where everyone lives in peace and honesty.

I dream of souls 
that are always free
like the clouds that float 
full of humanity in the depths of the soul.

In my fantaasy
I see a bright world
where each night there is less darkness.

In my fantasy 
exists a warm wind
that blows into the city
like a friend.

I dream of souls that are always free
like the clouds that float
full of humanity in the depths of the soul.